[PD-dev] sourceforge dev

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Mon Dec 19 13:36:32 CET 2005

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Max Neupert wrote:
> you are describing it like localization will never ever be part of
> main-pd. is this really the case?

This mainly depends on Matju and Miller. We have been trying to setup a
way to get improvements into main Pd, but this method is not accepted by
Matju. I fear Miller won't scan through the CVS and pick out the changes
needed for localization.

So, no, I don't think it will happen soon, but never say never.

> i think it's an essential thing for pd to become international. i
> know that it will not happen overnight, but the code should be ready
> for it so that localization will be possible later.
> what is important now is comments in utf-8 to make tutorials and
> helpfiles in other languages possible.

Changes in the code are trivial (see my post on the pd list), changing
the tcl script is a bit more work, but it is trivial too.

> i can also just send the translated stuff to matju for now. i am okay
> with that, but i think matju would appreciate if he could focus on
> his stuff instead of taking care of my 42nd correction.
>
> it's not so trivial to translate as one might think, there were
> interesting discussions about if certain idioms should be translated
> or not on the patching-in-tongues-list already. so it might not be
> always possible to upload a file just once and that's it.

You could also make it public on the wiki, if it is that hard to get
a final version. Others have contributed translations too, are we
supposed to add every translator to the CVS ?
I don't think so.

> lg, max
>
> (or is it my name??)

:) no. please don't take it personal. You (and others) are always welcome
to join the CVS. It was just my opinion that you do not need to have
CVS access for working on this one or two files of translation.
If the amount of your involvement increases we can still add you.

Guenter