[PD-dev] sourceforge dev

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Dec 19 21:04:06 CET 2005

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Marc Lavallée wrote:

> My impression about DesireData is that it's trying to do everything we
> always wanted about PD but were afraid to program. That sounds good, but
> in practice it's seems to be the project of one person and some
> collaborators.

Doesn't that sound like Miller Pâquette's Pd ?

> In this context, including testers is one way to simulate the inclusion
> of more people in the development process, but testing, although
> important, is a limited contribution.

If testers are relied upon, then excluding them from access to
instantaneous CVS increases the latency in the main feedback loop of an
incremental development process, in one way or another, and that increased
latency makes development less fun, which makes development slower.

> I'm wondering is DD is getting more private (controlled) than PD.

I don't know, just because few are working on my code doesn't mean that
I'm a control freak (that kind of control freak, anyway).

> Ruby is used extensively,

DesireData doesn't use a single line of Ruby. It's all Tcl, which is
already a dependency of PureMSP. Check your facts. What makes you believe
that it uses Ruby?

> and there a couple of "inventions" like these things I would call
> "yats" (yet another translation system),

PureMSP doesn't use MsgCat (or GetText) either.

> and "yacoops" (yet another custom OOP system".

Tcl does not come with its own OOP system and none of the OOP systems it
has is both standard enough and nice enough. iTcl has a tendency to look
like C++ (or even Java) more than it has to be.

> I don't know who is willing to work with such a mutating code base,

Chun Lee and myself, at least. Some people are waiting for it to become
minimally usable so that they can immediately use what they would be
contributing.

> and I don't know how many "#ifdef" it takes to decide that a project
> forked (there's already 13 for DESIRE).

There are 104 occurrences of #ifdef MSW, so, what's your point?