[PD-dev] sourceforge dev

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Mon Dec 19 22:02:58 CET 2005

Le 19 Décembre 2005 15:04, Mathieu Bouchard a écrit :
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Marc Lavallée wrote:
> > My impression about DesireData is that it's trying to do everything we
> > always wanted about PD but were afraid to program. That sounds good,
> > but in practice it's seems to be the project of one person and some
> > collaborators.
>
> Doesn't that sound like Miller Pâquette's Pd ?

The dev version is not developped only by Miller (Puckette, not Pâquette).

> > Ruby is used extensively,
>
> DesireData doesn't use a single line of Ruby. It's all Tcl, which is
> already a dependency of PureMSP. Check your facts. What makes you believe
> that it uses Ruby?

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/5965
Sorry, I misread it...

> > and there a couple of "inventions" like these things I would call
> > "yats" (yet another translation system),
>
> PureMSP doesn't use MsgCat (or GetText) either.

Of course, it's not internationalized...

> > and "yacoops" (yet another custom OOP system".
>
> Tcl does not come with its own OOP system and none of the OOP systems it
> has is both standard enough and nice enough. iTcl has a tendency to look
> like C++ (or even Java) more than it has to be.

Let's yacoops then (yoohoo).

> > I don't know who is willing to work with such a mutating code base,
>
> Chun Lee and myself, at least. Some people are waiting for it to become
> minimally usable so that they can immediately use what they would be
> contributing.

The most important feature to me is the separation of pd and pd.tk.

> > and I don't know how many "#ifdef" it takes to decide that a project
> > forked (there's already 13 for DESIRE).
>
> There are 104 occurrences of #ifdef MSW, so, what's your point?

MSW is a platform, not a branch or a fork...
--
Marc