[PD-dev] sourceforge dev

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Dec 19 22:54:58 CET 2005

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Marc Lavallée wrote:
> Le 19 Décembre 2005 15:04, Mathieu Bouchard a écrit :
> > On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Marc Lavallée wrote:
> > > My impression about DesireData is that it's trying to do everything we
> > > always wanted about PD but were afraid to program. That sounds good,
> > > but in practice it's seems to be the project of one person and some
> > > collaborators.
> > Doesn't that sound like Miller Pâquette's Pd ?
> The dev version is not developped only by Miller (Puckette, not Pâquette).

Who ever commits to non-DesireData -r devel_0_39 pd/src apart from Tim and
Thomas? How is the relationship between their work and Miller's work
considered a collaboration in this case?

In practice all branches and subprojects in pd/src are based on very small
teams of size comparable to that of DesireData.

> > > and there a couple of "inventions" like these things I would call
> > > "yats" (yet another translation system),
> > PureMSP doesn't use MsgCat (or GetText) either.
> Of course, it's not internationalized...

Yeah. Well, adding features requires adding code, and get this, getting a
piece of software (Pd) to use another piece of software (MsgCat) requires
adding code too! Also I don't see MsgCat as saving me work right now, and
most importantly, I don't see my current system as difficult to migrate to
MsgCat whenever you finally do convert me to holy MsgCat.

> > > and I don't know how many "#ifdef" it takes to decide that a project
> > > forked (there's already 13 for DESIRE).
> > There are 104 occurrences of #ifdef MSW, so, what's your point?
> MSW is a platform, not a branch or a fork...

When both are implemented as #ifdefs, what's the difference?

Why is a "platform" more #ifdef-worthy than a "fork" to the point that you
deem acceptable that the "platform" has 8 times more #ifdefs than a
subproject which is in the same branch and that you call a "fork" ?