[PD-dev] help me with my DLL snafu

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Dec 20 23:57:14 CET 2005

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>>
>>> (Btw: I recently struggled with setting the search-path in Pd on a
>>> german OS-X for half an hour before I figured out that the german
>>> "Dokumente" in the Finder actually is called "Documents" in the file
>>> system. I18n totally gone wrong, if you ask me ...)
>>
>> According to you, what would be a not-totally-gone-wrong way to handle the
>> I18N of filenames?
>
> The problem is, that there is no file called "Dokumente" on the
> machine, the actual file (or folder) is called "Documents". However
> the Finder - which I thought was a *File* manager, but it seems, it
> isn't one - showed a folder called "Dokumente", which just doesn't
> exist! I18N done right would just use a real folder called
> "Dokumente". That's one thing, that's better on MS-Windows, where "My
> Documents" on a english machine actually is a folder "Meine Dateien"
> on a german windows box.  Of course the unixish '~' is even better and
> solves all language problems. ;)

Even better, there are global environment variables for this stuff, on
Windows, there is %ProgramFile%, %SystemRoot%, etc. on UNIXish there is
$HOME, etc. etc.

We should allow Pd to use those env vars in the preferences, that would
make it much easier to write defaults prerefences files that are included
in distros (i.e. pd-settings.reg and org.pure-data.pd.plist).

.hc