[PD-dev] help me with my DLL snafu

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Dec 21 19:47:43 CET 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, geiger wrote:

> Which leads me to a question I always wanted to ask, but never dared to.
> What should be done on platforms that support more than one
> architecture, like linux or macosx ? Obvioulsy a xxx.pd_linux from a
> powerpc machine is not usable on a pentium, which makes bundling
> impossible. One would need a pd_linux_368, pd_linux_ppc, etc ...

Both Perl and Ruby use directories labeled like i386-linux and
powerpc-darwin and such, to put platform-specific files. Following that
convention, imagine this:

  /usr/lib/pd/extra/ for platform-independent files, except
  /usr/lib/pd/extra/i686-linux/ for platform-specific files
  and both of those dirs appear in Pd's default path.

Alternately, those same suffixes may be applied to filenames instead,
though there aren't many popular precedents. If we want to expand on Pd's
tradition, it could be like this:

  /usr/lib/pd/extra/expr~.pd_i686-linux

but to people outside of Pd it would appear less weird like this:

  /usr/lib/pd/extra/expr~.i686-linux.so

also, by default, Tcl and Python don't support multiple archs, at least
not in my distro.