[PD-dev] help me with my DLL snafu

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Dec 23 22:30:43 CET 2005

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> The problem is, that there is no file called "Dokumente" on the machine,
> the actual file (or folder) is called "Documents". However the Finder -
> which I thought was a *File* manager, but it seems, it isn't one -
> showed a folder called "Dokumente", which just doesn't exist!

It just depends on what your expectations from the file manager are. I'm
happy with such a scheme as long as it's easy for me to find what the
untranslated name is.

> That's one thing, that's better on MS-Windows, where "My Documents" on a
> english machine actually is a folder "Meine Dateien" on a german windows
> box.  Of course the unixish '~' is even better and solves all language
> problems. ;)

The latter is not a joke. Expecting the directory "C:\\Program Files" to
exist on Windows is a common mistake. A database of untranslated names to
translated names is required. On OSX, programs don't have to make the
translations themselves, because the translations are made only in the
user interface.