[PD-dev] Re: Pd for Debian [was: Re: [PD] Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC6 release]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Dec 28 14:53:31 CET 2005

Hallo,
Winfried Ritsch hat gesagt: // Winfried Ritsch wrote:
> What is if I want my own GEM tree and not the debian one, because GEM has a
> lot of compilation option, then it would be nice just not install Gem to not
> get mixed with the the debian.

That's actually, why I'm so in favour of having seperate packages in
Debian (or generally). Debian packages are not only binary packages,
they come as source packages, too, and using Debian's packaging tools
makes it easy to build custom Debian packages of Gem locally as in:

$ fakeroot debian/rules binary
$ dpkg -i ../*.deb

When doing packages for Debian, I think, the needs of people who
compile their own stuff using Debian's tools should be taken into
account as well. Everyone is a maintainer, the line to "pure users" is
blurred or non-existant here.

Ciao