[PD-dev] Re: Pd for Debian [was: Re: [PD] Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC6 release]

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.at
Thu Dec 29 16:19:16 CET 2005

Hello,

> So here's my proposal for the layout:
>
> pd (provided by puredata, desiredata, pd-devel, etc.)
> pd-doc (this may be unclear, its more like built-in help than
> standalone docs)
> pd-externals ("abstractions" and "externals" with no deps)
> pd-audio (anything needing extra sound libs)
> pd-video (virtual package for all video packages).
> pd-gem
> pd-pdp
> pd-pidip
> pd-gridflow
> pd-pdp

my vote for this layout,
plus
  pd-python, pd-ruby, pd-basic ;-)),...

> Then we should also remove "ogg*.c" from "externals/build/src" and make
> "pdogg" library, with its own build targets.
>
> This packaging is a bit difficult to categorize since libs are
> currently organized by author rather than by functionality.  I think we
> should organize the pd packages by functionality, then over time, we
> can make libs along those lines also (like "math", "soundfile", etc.)

thats true, since everyone wanted his playground, but I think its a kind of
healthy competition, if some libraries has same functionalities, and some
even have same functionalities in one library ;-), but this is an other
discussion and should not be reflected by packaging.

mfg winfried ritsch