[PD-dev] Re: Pd for Debian [was: Re: [PD] Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC6 release]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Dec 29 18:55:50 CET 2005

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Winfried Ritsch wrote:
> > > So here's my proposal for the layout:
> > > pd (provided by puredata, desiredata, pd-devel, etc.)
> > > pd-doc (this may be unclear, its more like built-in help than
> > > standalone docs)
> > > pd-externals ("abstractions" and "externals" with no deps)
> > > pd-audio (anything needing extra sound libs)
> > > pd-video (virtual package for all video packages).
>
> Where do you put externals that have deps that are not audio deps and that
> are not video deps?

Do you have a suggestion?

However I don't see this as being a real problem. pd-externals may
have some extra dependencies, and there aren't that many externals yet
which use a lot of special stuff. Some networking code may come to
mind or externals which communicate with special hardware like hid.
I'd just put these in pd-externals anyway, unless they, like Gridflow,
pdp or Gem, form a kind of application itself build on top of Pd.

A bigger issue could be platform specific externals. Okay, Framesteins
seems deadish, but for example the alsa-externals by IOhannes won't
run on OS-X or MS-Windows.

Ciao