[PD-dev] unit tests!

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Dec 29 23:33:06 CET 2005

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Tim Blechmann wrote:

> >  * failure: a test object reports a problem through outlet 0.
> how do you want it to be implemented? one object per patch, per canvas
> (like switch~) or globally?

one more note: the way you say it, it sounds like Contracts and not
UnitTests. The two are related and I'm in favour of the two, unlike most
proponents of validation, who tend to clearly prefer one or the other. I
think that, as much as possible, the things in PureUnity should apply to
both types of testing.

For those who don't know the difference:

 * UnitTests are designed to be run outside of a real project, as a "make
   test" kind of thing. They mostly probe border cases and past bugs.

 * Contracts work at runtime and check that things are going right in an
   actual practical execution. When Contracts are used in code known to be
   buggy, they may make the bug(s) easier to locate because the Contracts
   determine which object is responsible for the problem.

   Also, I don't quite know of a good way to implement Contracts in Pd,
   because normally one does it with either AOP or at least inheritance,
   and Pd supports neither.