[PD-dev] Re: GCC errors building devel_0_39

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Dec 30 17:00:02 CET 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Tim Blechmann wrote:

> > GCC 3.4.3 error report:
> > 	http://www.dolphin-speech.net/mike/errors-gcc343.lst
> > GCC 4.0.0 error report:
> > 	http://www.dolphin-speech.net/mike/errors-gcc400.lst
> > I don't know of any reason why I should be getting internal
> > compiler errors trying to build this codebase, it doesn't make
> > sense to me at all.
> can you compile anything? this looks like a compiler error ... did you
> try gcc 3.3?

I should've said this: just because something is a bug in the compiler
doesn't mean we don't have to take it into account. Trying to compile
devel_0_39 with simd=1 seems to be really, really troublesome with most
versions of GCC I encounter. Most people who come to me with problems
compiling devel_0_39 have that compiler error problem, so I have to tell
them to do scons simd=0, except that sometimes they're trying devel_0_39
*because* of SIMD.

And then, I tried using GCC 4.0.2 for a while, but encountered programs
that wouldn't compile anymore and that looked like real trouble to get to
compile with GCC 4.x, so I reverted to GCC 3.4, and then encountered
fundamental incompatibilities in libstdc++... and I don't know how to keep
libstdc++'s from conflicting, short of static linking.

I'd recommend that simd=1 only enables SIMD asm code, and that a
new option moresimd=1 would enable GCC options for SIMD generation, and
would default to moresimd=0 until versions of GCC that people can actually
use also can compile with SIMD enabled!