[PD-dev] Re: Pd for Debian [was: Re: [PD] Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC6 release]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Dec 30 21:46:34 CET 2005

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> > > Where do you put externals that have deps that are not audio deps and that
> > > are not video deps?
> > Do you have a suggestion?
>
> I don't know...

I can see: Your mail contains almost only sentences ending in question
marks. ;) I know, asking is important, but trying to suggest answers
also is.

> > pd-externals may have some extra dependencies,
>
> Oh, I didn't think of interpreting "externals with no deps" this way.

I was trying to refer to my proposal, where some deps would be okay
for the pd-externals package.

> > I'd just put these in pd-externals anyway, unless they, like Gridflow,
> > pdp or Gem, form a kind of application itself build on top of Pd.
>
> What do you mean that they form a kind of application? That seems vague...
> Is it because of their size? or is it because all three happen to define
> their own datatypes and use them a lot, and as such seem to be escaping
> Pd's claws?

Of course it's vague, that's characteristic for the problem at hand
which is rather ill-defined. I don't see a precise border between
several groups of externals, so I try to draw a broader picture
without fragmenting stuff too much. One of the guidelines could be,
how much the various groups of externals communicate with each other.
All Gem-objects communicate a lot with each other, as do the
pdp-objects. OTOH they don't communicate much with audio objects per
se.

Viewed like that splitting off Gem and pdp to be in their own packages
seperate from the others feels natural to me. The added bonus is, that
we could also get rid of lots of dependencies for the pd-externals
package. But even if not, I would be in favour of putting Gem and pdp
into their own packages.

> > A bigger issue could be platform specific externals. Okay, Framesteins
> > seems deadish, but for example the alsa-externals by IOhannes won't run
> > on OS-X or MS-Windows.
>
> How would that be a bigger issue, or even an issue?... You just don't
> provide alsa packages on OSX and MSW, that's all, right??

Well, maybe it's not an issue. It depends on if we would like to have
the same set of externals in every pd-xyz package independent of
platform. If yes, then maybe pd-win, pd-lin, pd-mac packages would be
needed to collect the externals specific for every platform, and keep
pd-externals OS-agnostic (if that would even be possible).

Ciao