[PD-dev] PureUnity trailer!

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Jan 1 14:42:21 CET 2006

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

>     http://artengine.ca/pureunity/

A very interesting and very useful project. Especially the part:

  "However sometimes we want to make sure that our math is accurate
  enough. Many algorithms are data-recursive: each computation uses
  previous results. Many of those algorithms have chaotic and/or
  unstable behaviours, which means that the inaccuracies may skyrocket
  instead of fading out."

is very handy sometimes.

For example the physical modelling patches I did (as a-*.pd in
svn://footils.org/pd/msd/trunk/phys) have to use this kind of
recursive operations a lot and the current implementation becomes
unstable much faster than pmpd or msd do. I would really like to find
out why. Do I assume correctly, that Pd is using the same precision
floats (32-bit floating point) in messages as they would be used, when
I declare something t_float in a C-external? Somehow I have the
impression, that message-float-computations in Pd aren't as precise as
t_float computations in externals. However I cannot prove it yet ...

Ciao