[PD-dev] Political Impropriety

David Plans Casal main at davidcasal.com
Mon Jan 2 12:50:51 CET 2006

On 1 Jan 2006, at 17:48, ydegoyon at free.fr wrote:

> ola,

Hola.

I'm sorry to perpetuate this thread, and promise not to reply again
and heed Frank's advice. I too think this discussion is getting
childish. I've changed the subject line because I do see personal
names on subject lines as totally gross (in the Apache Software
Foundation, doing that can get you a real butt kicking).

However, I can't resist commenting on the following:

> do you f*** know what we talk about when we use the world
> "repression", here in
> Chile?
> pd : btw, the title of this mail 8 and the delation attitude )
> really sucks like in old times in Chile...

Some of my own family suffered under Pinochet in Chile and under
opression in Argentina. Also, I was raised in Spain not a couple of
years after Franco finally died, and experienced first hand what a
police baton feels like on your ribs when you're shouting 'Freedom'.
Yes, in the 70s and 80s. I find your comparison of this discussion
and its (personal or not) implications and the suffering of people in
those countries offensive and unuseful.

Moreover, it is inappropriate and out of place in this list, IMHO.
I've been on the PD list since 1998 one way or another and have
always found that while there are strong, sometimes diverging
opinions, there has always been enough healthy common sense and open-
minded attitude to cope with any kind of argument.

I am active in the FFII's Software Patents vs Parliamentary Democracy
campaign (http://swpat.ffii.org/) and have worked in the FLOSS
environment commercially for the last 5 years; copyright isn't the
problem: patents are. When you attack a single software developer for
copyrighting their software (and no, I don't necessarily agree
personally with that approach, in that I personally try to find the
funding to release in the open), you undermine the real fight against
software progress and the freedom organisations such as the FFII
campaign for.

> no saludos, y no feliz anio a ti,

Aw come on. Calmate i bebe una cerveza. At the end of the day,
neither Matthieu's work nor Chris' in any way stop you from doing
what you do, and participating still in the larger PD effort, do
they? I can't see how that could be.

I personally hope we can drop this and just get on with the general
PD work (on main or devel_0_39 or on our own externals or all of the
above); 2006 looks like an exciting year already to me (seen Grill's
ecard? ;-)   ) and I sincerely hope we can cope with a little flame war.

Asbestos suits for all!

Yours,

David

--