Using Copyright WAS: Re: [PD-dev] Political Impropriety

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jan 4 02:36:05 CET 2006

On Jan 3, 2006, at 9:07 AM, c wrote:

>> What's the advantage of using unclear laws instead of clear free
>> licenses
>> such as MITX11 and SIBSD ?
>
> theyre good if you are into obfuscation and ambiguities and want to
> weed out those in your userbase who care about a clear license. there
> are those who just dont care (me being one, i know yves would rather
> spend his time and money making tea for hugo chavez and not waste it
> on silly lawyers...)

You bring up a good point here about lawyers.  Most lawyers pretend
that the law is free (as in beer) when talking about things like
copyright license terms.  The talk about all sorts of clauses to
licenses as if they were easy to enforce, and that justice will just
automatically reign upon us. (Sadly, I think Lawrence Lessig is a
victim of this line of thinking with his Creative Commons licenses).

But the reality is that the law is really expensive.  So if you have an
attribution clause in your license and a large corporation uses your
software without attributing you, are you going to spend US$10,000 to
sue them to force them to?  All you'd get it attribution, and it'd
actually cost you US$10,000.  That's how much it costs to sue large
corporations, it can often cost a lot more. Why do you think that all
the people sued by the RIAA for downloading settled out of court?
Their settlements were cheaper than fighting to clear their names in
court, even if they were totally innocent, as some of them were.  And
that's exactly what RIAA is counting on when they sue people.

Another example of a similar situation is a clause like "Not for
military or repressive use."  By legal standards, it is vague. What is
the legal definition of "repressive use"?  Is that the same definition
that the author intended?  A vague statement is even more expensive to
defend in court.  So now, let's say a military organization uses the
software.  In order to stop them, you have to take them to court, which
will cost a lot of money.

But if that same software had been released under the GNU GPL, then
even though that military would be allowed to use the software, they
would have to release any of their additions under the GNU GPL.  In the
vast majority of GPL violation cases, a letter from a lawyer is enough
to get the sources released since it is well established in courts and
has the clout and lawyers of the Free Software Foundation behind it.
Then instead of spending precious money on court fees fighting the
military org, it could be spent on much more productive things, and
also, that military org would be contributing to the development of the
software that you use to fight them.

So the choice really seems to be between an idealistic expression and
an actual benefit.  Even though I believe in such idealistic
expression, I think that copyright license are not the place for it
because its counter productive to the ideals expressed.

____

publicity.

                      - Bill Moyers