[PD-dev] Porting, copyright and licensing

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 11:51:19 CET 2006

Hi,

Whilst we are on the subject of licensing and copyright, I have a related question. If a section of code is ported into another programming language, does the ported code qualify as a new piece of software or a modification of existing software? I ask this, because clearly it has implications for who owns the copyright to the ported code.

For example, I have written an external that uses a Fast Cosine Transform algorithm originally implemented in Fortran, with the code released under the ACM license (http://www.acm.org/pubs/copyright_policy/softwareCRnotice.html). Clearly, if a port into C (as a PD external) is classed as a modification of the existing Fortran code, then I have to license the external under the ACM also. That is, unless the author agrees to relicense the code under the GPL. However, if the PD external is classed as an entirely separate piece of software, just using the same algorithm, could it be relicensed without consent?

Does anyone know the law/etiquette regarding this?

Thanks,

Jamie