Using Copyright WAS: Re: [PD-dev] Political Impropriety

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jan 4 18:24:43 CET 2006

On Jan 4, 2006, at 7:10 AM, Marc Lavallée wrote:

> Le 3 Janvier 2006 20:36, Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
>> But if that same software had been released under the GNU GPL, then
>> even though that military would be allowed to use the software, they
>> would have to release any of their additions under the GNU GPL.
>
> The GPL does not force the release of source code modifications for
> internal
> use. If I have a contract with a programmer to adapt a GPL software, I
> can
> use it and keep the source, unless I want to redistribute this
> modified (or
> enhanced) software.

Actually, the GPL covers copying and distribution.  So I suppose if you
never copied a single file, then you would not have to release the
source.  But even if you copied a fraction of a file, then the license
terms kick in.

Here's the relevant parts of the GNU GPL:

3.  You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

     a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1
and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

____

scarcity."
                                                      -John Gilmore