[PD-dev] Porting, copyright and licensing

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jan 4 18:29:21 CET 2006

On Jan 4, 2006, at 8:40 AM, Jamie Bullock wrote:

> Marc,
>
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 10:42:36 -0500
> Marc Lavallée <marc at hacklava.net> wrote:
>
>> Le 4 Janvier 2006 05:51, Jamie Bullock a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Whilst we are on the subject of licensing and copyright, I have a
>>> related
>>> question. If a section of code is ported into another programming
>>> language, does the ported code qualify as a new piece of software or
>>> modification of existing software? I ask this, because clearly it has
>>> implications for who owns the copyright to the ported code.
> <snip>
>>
>> The ACM license is a bit like a the CC attribution/non-commercial
>> license.
>> I'm not sure it can be considered a free software license (it's not
>> listed
>> on gnu.org), but I believe it can be used along with free software.
>> For
>> commercial use, you must contact the author and negociate a licensing
>> agreement. For non-commercial use, you can distribute the source or
>> binaries, even modify and/or integrate the source to your project,
>> but the
>> original code must be indentified as being the property of ACM. So I
>> think
>> you can licence your part as GPL and use the ACM part as instructed
>> by the
>> ACM license.
>> --
>> Marc
>

> Thanks for the reply.  What you mention above is was what I already
> understood to be the case. However, the emphasis of my question is:
> does a port from one language to another generally count as new
> software, or modification of existing software from a
> licensing/copyright point of view?
>
> For example, if I re-wrote PD in Java (heaven forbid), and it was
> functionally identical to PD, would it have to retain its original
> copyright/license, or would it be considered a new piece of software?

Copyright covers implementations, not ideas.  So if you reimplement all
of the ideas of Pd or this Fast Cosine Transform, then its a new
implementation and you control the copyright.  But if your
implementation is just a copy of another implementation, then copyright
applies.

____

it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the
possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of
it."
                                                        - Thomas
Jefferson