[PD-dev] Porting, copyright and licensing

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Wed Jan 4 18:46:02 CET 2006

Le 4 Janvier 2006 11:40, Jamie Bullock a écrit :
> For example, if I re-wrote PD in Java (heaven forbid), and it was
> functionally identical to PD, would it have to retain its original
> copyright/license, or would it be considered a new piece of software?

It would be a new software, the source of the original software being like a
set of specifications. Take Java for example: there's free implementations
even if the ones from Sun and IBM are proprietary. In the case of your fct
external, you read the FORTRAN routine, you understood it and you rewrote
it in C with an interface for PD. The ACM licence does not say you must
release your new software with the same license, it says that you must
identify what comes from the original code and attribute it to the ACM.
--
Marc