Using Copyright WAS: Re: [PD-dev] Political Impropriety

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Wed Jan 4 20:00:58 CET 2006

Le 4 Janvier 2006 12:18, B. Bogart a écrit :
> Ah, but it says "coping AND distribution" so you would be free to copy
> as long as much as you want as long as you don't distribute it. (which I
>   guess means provide copies to other people).

Yes.

And the GPL also allow to use your own modifications for your own business,
without compulsory redistribution. If it was not the case, the FSF would be
thrilled about DRM and "trusted computing"...

> if there was a free software law list I would suggest this thread move
> to there, but I have no idea if there is one...

I found one, the "Free Software Law list", but it's not very active :
Sorry for polluting the pd-dev list...

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> > Actually, the GPL covers copying and distribution.  So I suppose if you
> > never copied a single file, then you would not have to release the
> > source.  But even if you copied a fraction of a file, then the license
> > terms kick in.

It's more when you are distributing that it really kicks in. The source code
"must be distributed" if and only if the program (original or based on it)
is also distributed.
--
Marc