Using Copyright WAS: Re: [PD-dev] Political Impropriety

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jan 6 04:30:16 CET 2006

If you made copies on one machine, and the software in question never
left that one machine, you might be able to get away with not releasing
your changes.  But   in practice, if an organization uses software,
they are going to copy and distribute it.

Also, I don't think that the "and" means that both must happen.  The
license is talking about granting you rights, so it says you have the
right to copy AND the right to distribute.  If it said "copy OR
distribute", then you would only have the right to do one or the other.

If it really meant "copy and distribute" together, that would be a
gaping hole in the GPL.

.hc