[PD-dev] Re: Using Copyright

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Fri Jan 6 00:26:31 CET 2006

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:36:22PM -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2006, at 2:00 PM, Marc Lavallée wrote:
>
> >Le 4 Janvier 2006 12:18, B. Bogart a écrit :
> >>Ah, but it says "coping AND distribution" so you would be free to copy
> >>as long as much as you want as long as you don't distribute it.
> >>(which I
> >>  guess means provide copies to other people).
> >
> >Yes.
> >
> >And the GPL also allow to use your own modifications for your own
> >business,
> >without compulsory redistribution. If it was not the case, the FSF
> >would be
> >thrilled about DRM and "trusted computing"...
>
> Actually, no.  Check CC's "human readable" version:
>
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/GPL/2.0/
>
> "If you copy or distribute the program, you must accompany it with the
> complete corresponding machine-readable source code or with a written
> offer, valid for at least three years, to furnish the complete
> corresponding machine-readable source code."

I am not a lawyer, but I take this to mean that you must provide
the source code to anyone you distribute it to. Hence, if you only
distribute your modifications to people inside your company, you only
need to give the source code of those modifications to those same people
inside your company.

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx