[PD-dev] PureUnity now includes an "external"

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Jan 8 18:00:52 CET 2006

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2006, at 12:54 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> > On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> > > Because when you mix up files of different types, it makes the pattern
> > > matching rules more complicated.  I am sure there are other reasons as
> > > well, that's the first that comes to mind.
> > Does it? wow. Then how come there are so many *.pd files in the
> > /externals/ module ?
> I mean more having all of the files in one directory, not which tree its in.

what's complicated about your pattern-matching needs? I don't understand.
why do files have suffixes then?

> Perhaps a better distinction than /abstractions/ and /externals/ would
> be /applications/ and /objects/.  /applications/ would always be only
> .pd files since this is the repository for Pd.  /objects/ could be any
> kind of code, since Pd objects can be written in many languages.

I would object to /objects/ because I think it should be called /classes/
in order to try undoing the object/class confusion that exists in the
Max/Pd world.

> I'd probably have something like:
> pureunity/src (*.c)
> pureunity/abs (*.pd)
> pureunity/help (*-help.pd)

Why would helpfiles be in the same directory as the corresponding
abstractions? And then why do help files have a "-help" suffix then?

> > Would each call to class_addcreator have to go in a separate C file?
> You could use symlinks, except on Win32, where you would need copies (Win32
> doesn't have real symlinks, except with Cygwin.).

Wouldn't copies cause "duplicate symbol" errors upon loading?

How would the name of the _setup function be determined in this case?