[PD-dev] PureUnity now includes an "external"

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Jan 8 19:06:36 CET 2006

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Why does Gridflow have all these directories?
> base bin bridge bundled cpu devices4ruby doc extra format
> images java optional pd_abstractions pd_examples pd_help

This question may seem like a parallel to my questions, but there's a big
difference: I'm talking about ideal conventions for a fresh new project,
whereas your question asks about an existing project with 5 years of
baggage which originally wasn't made for Pd, and in which still most of
the stuff doesn't depend on Pd, and where directories have been created in
a more naïve way back when I didn't know better _and_ back when helpfiles
didn't have a "-help" suffix.

> Why don't you put all this stuff in one big "gf" directory?

In general, stuff in GF is not organised by filetype. When it is, it's
often an old convention that may disappear eventually.

"base" is for essential stuff. "bin" is meant to be installed in
$PREFIX/bin. "bridge"  contains GridFlow-for-Ruby. "bundled" are files
copied from other packages (e.g. g_canvas.h so that people don't have to
have Pd's source code in order to compile GF). "cpu" files deal only with
CPU-specific optimisations.  "devices4ruby" deals only with hardware and
used to be a separately distributed package. "doc" is for the
XML/HTML-based manual. "extra" is for files that I didn't know where to
put. "optional" is for parts whose compilation is not required in order to
build GF (USB, LTI), except for those that are file format plugins for
[#in] and [#out], which are in "format". "pd_examples" will be renamed to
"examples" (possibly merged with "extra"). "pd_help" will disappear as
it's being merged with "doc". I'm not sure what to do with
"pd_abstractions" yet.

> Why does the "java" directory include only images?

The java directory used to contain the client-side jMax code for the
[peephole] object. When I nuked jMax support I kept those icons for future
use, but I didn't move them (CVS inertia).