[PD-dev] help me with my DLL snafu

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Jan 9 17:21:40 CET 2006

On Jan 9, 2006, at 7:48 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Thomas Grill wrote:
>>>
>>> After going thru all of the disparate proposals, I think that the
>>> simplest is best:  why not just one extension for all platforms?
>>> This
>
> just some random remarks on this (the main reason why i reply to the
> mail, comes at the end):
>
> because it breaks _my_ way of working with pd.
> and even though i am probably the only one who is sharing one
> home-directory with compiled externals across 4 different platforms, i
> don't think it is valid to ignore this need. (like in: we don't need a
> per-host pdrc-mechanism, since hardly anybody will use it)

I think there is a very good chance that you are the only place doing
this, plus there are easy workarounds.  Going forward, the .pdrc is
deprecated, so I don't think we should waste time supporting it.  It
would not be hard to write a script which will generate the various
platform-specific conf files when given a common set of options. Then
this would allow you to move off of the .pdrc.  I have been thinking
about doing it for the Pd-extended conf files anyway...

Let's try to keep this clean.  That's not possible if we try to cater
to every possibility under the sun.

.hc