[PD-dev] list object operators

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Wed Jan 11 00:17:22 CET 2006

Hi Frank,

>Regarding your suggestion of speeding up list-math: What about
>extending [expr] to handle lists as well? Maybe a new variable could
>deal with this like $l1, $l2, ..., so that things like this would be
>possible: [expr $f1 * $l1].

i thought about that, but it's not an option for me, as expr doesn't use
the PD license, but GPL.
Also, extending [list] for a few of the more important operations would
be really straightforward.

>I didn't think too much about the best syntax for list-expr yet, like
>when should the result be a list, when should it be a scalar, how to
>handle the two kinds of multiplication possible with [expr $l1 * $l2]
>(inner product with a scalar result vs. element-wise product to a
>list), what to do with "mixed" lists that also include symbols and
>gpointers etc., but the basic concept looks very useful to me.

Concerning the syntax it would probably the best to see how Max is using
it - there, lists can readily be used inside expr.

>Besides that, a [list drip|serialize] and negative indices for [list
>split] - see my patch in the SF tracker - would be *very* handy.

sure!

best greetings,
Thomas

--