[PD-dev] bind abstraction-canvas to full classname

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jan 13 18:28:33 CET 2006

On Jan 13, 2006, at 4:17 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> but probably there is no way around.
>

> so i have re-submitted a patch to the patch-tracker.
> the new version now appends ".pd" to the receiver-name (using the
> pd-function addfileextent() which i just stumbled across and which
> seems to do what i need)
>
> so now [foo/bar] will bind to "pd-foo/bar.pd" (and for compatibility
> to "pd-bar.pd".

I am glad the .pd issue worked out easily.

I just thought of one thing.  The "pd-bar.pd" compatibility binding for
[foo/bar] might not be the best thing to have.  If you had [foo/bar]
and [bar], you would not be able to insure that you are independently
sending messages to [bar] with the symbol "pd-bar.pd" since both
[foo/bar] and [bar] would listen to pd-bar.pd.

I vote for clean implementation over backwards compatibility.  (it is
still pd 0.* 8-)

.hc