[PD-dev] bind abstraction-canvas to full classname

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Jan 14 19:02:32 CET 2006

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>

>>abstractions require the .pd extension. with the 2nd patch i submitted a
>>".pd" is appended to the canvas-receiver of an _abstraction_. the "new"
>>(currently: additional, but see the other mails on this topic)
>>canvas-receiver consists of the classname (== relative-pathname +
>>filename). there is no check whether the classname (how you call the
>>object) contains a relative (or even absolute) pathname.
>

> What's the use of being able to contact one (and only one) instance of an
> abstraction via a receive-symbol?

do i guess this is a rhetoric question?
btw, my patch does not contact one (and only one) _instance_ of an
abstraction, but _all_ instances.

> How do I know which instance I am contacting?

you don't.
that is the nature of send. you do not know who is listening.
(but of course you know that)

> And then, why is [namecanvas] marked as obsolete?

well, i keep asking this question since several years. (since i first
discovered that [namecanvas] is marked obsolete.

mfg.asdr.
IOhannes