[PD-dev] $0 in messages, was: multiple $arg-expansion

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Jan 15 11:05:23 CET 2006

Hallo,
IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Thomas Grill wrote:
> >>do you mean, is there a reason for my patch, a reason for $0 or a
> >>reason for $0 being "different" in messages?
> >
> >the latter (your patch is great, although i'd like to have even more
>
> well i think this is very consistent: $args in messages refer _only_ to
> parameters of incoming messages, while $args in objects refer only to
> parameters of upstream objects. (and $0 is bound to the class instance)

It is consistent and the problem may lie elsewhere: messages are the
only "objects", that do not have access to abstraction properties like
abstraction arguments and $0. It is hard to give them access, because
$x already is used for a different purpose in messages.

One solution could be a "message object", that does both, something
like a [makemessage] which could be a mix of [makefilename] on
steroids and a standard [message( - and maybe could reintroduce Max's
#x.

Ciao