[PD-dev] $0 in messages, was: multiple $arg-expansion

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Jan 15 14:11:56 CET 2006

Hallo,
Thomas Grill hat gesagt: // Thomas Grill wrote:

> I think nothing would be broken if $0 in messages means the canvas ID.
> So far $0 in messages hasn't been used, or has it?
> To my mind that would be a fairly clear extension.

Nothing would break, of course, but getting the canvas ID into a
message already is easily possible with $-replacements as in
[f $0]--[$1(

And just adding $0 to messages would still not solve accessing
abstraction arguments in messages.

What I would be interested in more is being able to use $0 and other
$x *literally*, for example to be able to dynamically create
objects which use $0 as argument like:

  [obj 100 100 f $0(

  [s pd-subpatch]

to create a [f $0] in [pd subpatch] and not a [f 1001]. This would of
course conflict with replacing $0 by its current value in messages as
well.

So my vote still would be some #x.

Ciao