[PD-dev] $0 in messages, was: multiple $arg-expansion

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Jan 15 20:53:24 CET 2006

Hallo,
IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> personally i have to admit, that i don't have problems with $ in objects
> and $ in messages.

Note that my suggestion would allow *both* $x and #x in messages next
to each other! #x would expand to an object's #x which would be, what
$x currently is in an object. And $x in a message will stay as it is.

Example: a message [; #1-x $1( would send the first element of an
incoming message list ($1) to a receiver, that is taken from the
surrounding abstraction's first argument (#1-x). This may be easier to
understand than the current way to do this:

  [pack 0 $1-x]

  [; $2 $1(

(I know, I'm a bit cheating by not using [s $1-x] here)

Note that I'm not convinced myself if all this is worth the effort, it
is just food for thought. I'm also not convinced that we need $0 in
messages, though.

Ciao