[PD-dev] $0 in messages, was: multiple $arg-expansion

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Mon Jan 16 00:49:00 CET 2006

Hey all,

>   The only advantage I can see to the addition of # args is shortcuts.

that's one advantage and it's an important one. When building more
complex messages the [unpack], [f $x], [pack], [msg x $1 y $2(  thing
is a real pain, both for performance and for the eye.

> But that would be at the expense of syntactic and logical simplicity,
> and my guess is that it would make code harder to read rather than
> easier.

i can't follow that argument. I just returned from a beginner's
workshop and the fact that $x means different things in the same patch
was obviously confusing for the people. It's much easier to read and
understand that $x are always message parameters and #x are always
abstraction arguments.

greetings,
Thomas