[PD-dev] $0 in messages, was: multiple $arg-expansion

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Jan 16 09:24:40 CET 2006

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> $ args are expandable arguments, whether in objects or in messages.
> You can break down everything in Pd to those two basic categories:
> objects and messages.  When you want an expandable argument, then use a
> $ arg.  Since objects and messages are different things, it makes sense
> that $ args don't expand to the same thing within objects and messages.

messageboxes are not messages. a messagebox is a t_object. a message is a
selector and then zero or more t_atom arguments.

> That seems nicely logical and compact to me.  I think if people have
> trouble with that, they are likely not understanding the distinction
> between messages and objects rather than the $ args themselves.

Objects are constructed using a selector and a list of zero or more t_atom
arguments. The text written in an objectbox is a message. The classname is
a selector for a method in object ";objectmaker". A constructor is a
message.