[PD-dev] bind abstraction-canvas to full classname (namecanvas)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jan 16 10:34:09 CET 2006

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I was just thinking about this, I think that the object controlling the
> meta data is a bit weird.  I think that it would make more sense to be
> able to query the classname itself to set and get the meta data.  This

yes, that's where the concepts of my [canvas] and your [meta] start to
differ.
probably my assumption that they are equivalent was wrong: [meta] aims
to interface the class, while [canvas] should interface the instance.

they probably got confused, because in pd you usually modify the class
via an instance: you create an abstraction (== instance of the class)
and modify it and save it; only then the class will be changed.

[meta] (or rather your replacement) would act on all instances of a
class simultaneously.
i fear that this is very different from how pd usually deals with such
things (which does not necessarily mean that it is worse)

mfg.asdr.
IOhannes