[PD-dev] floating point exception while compiling devel

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Jan 16 18:18:01 CET 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Ed Kelly wrote:

> ...on a Pentium M 1.6, Fedora Core 3, gcc-3.3 and scons 0.96.1.D001

>  Don't know if the output is any use, but the preprocessed compiler
>  output is enclosed.

I don't think that the output is of any use. The output of "scons" would
have been better, but fortunately I already know what the problem is.

> It was in module u_pdreceive.o that the error occurred.

This is because you are have enabled SIMD on a compiler where SIMD is
buggy (gcc 3.3.x).

Either do "scons simd=0" or figure out how to keep the essential SIMD
stuff enabled while disabling it for the 95% of the code for which it
doesn't matter as much... I haven't tried the latter because I haven't
really learned scons. Other people would urge you to upgrade to GCC 4.0 or
4.1.

I tried installing GCC 4.0.2 manually which kinda works, but GCC 4.0.x
doesn't want to compile some other program that I really need and it turns
out that the way I've installed it, GCC 3.3.x doesn't work anymore because
of a conflict of libstdc++ versions that I don't know how to fix. So I
completely reverted to GCC 3.3.x.