[PD-dev] Tcl exec vs. Microsoft filenames

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jan 18 07:14:13 CET 2006

On Jan 18, 2006, at 12:12 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> In u_main.tk, in the procedure menu_openhtml, this little snippet of
>> code does not work when there is a space in the file name (i.e.
>> C:/Program Files/pd/doc), but works fine when there are no spaces:
>>          exec rundll32 url.dll,FileProtocolHandler \
>>        [format "file:%s" $filename] &
>> This opens HTML, etc from the menu/help browser, so it would be most
>> helpful
>> to have it working.  I have tried a number of things to no avail.
>> Any Tcl-meisters want to take a stab?  Matju?
>
> Me?
>
> I uninstalled Windows in 1994 or so.
> It never ran so well on my DRDOS/DESQview anyway.
>
> I never used Microsoft's Mosaic fork either.

I think its more of a Tcl question.  The problem is that if I run this
from the command line, it works fine:

rundll32 url.dll,FileProtocolHandler file:C:/Program
Files/pd/doc/manuals/Gem/cMatrix.html

But if I do this in Tcl, it does not:

set filename "C:/Program Files/pd/doc/manuals/Gem/cMatrix.html"
exec rundll32 url.dll,FileProtocolHandler [format "file:%s" $filename] &

Quotes don't seem to make it work either.

____

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.
                                               -David Zicarelli