[PD-dev] using SIMD instructions in externals

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 14:39:13 CET 2006

Hey all,

So, I am wondering how to use the SIMD instructions. I
see
t_int *plus_perf_simd(t_int *w);
in m_simd_sse_gcc.h and I am wondering how to use it.
For example, I have my signal vector in an array and I
want to find the sum of absolutes of all it's values.
Without SIMD I would do a

for (i=0;i<n;i++) ctl->f_sum_abs += fabs(in[i]);

but looking at the headers for SIMD instructions, it
seems I have to set up a dsp-perform routine (or
something like it) for the plus_perf_simd instruction
(with *w as the pointer). How do I do this from within
the perform routine, or am I missing something here? I
apologise for my lack of knowledge...

Best,
Ed