[PD-dev] using SIMD instructions in externals

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Wed Jan 18 17:26:41 CET 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:58:16 +0100
IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> while the tastes differ, i have found it most convenient to write
> SIMD-code not in assembler but rather in intrinsics (C-like
> function-wrappers around assembler): apart from taste this has also
> the benefit of being portable across different compilers (e.g. you
> can use the same implementation for both gcc and icc and m$vc).

after implementing a lot of stuff both with intrinsics and with inline
assembler, i have to say, that inline assembler can be the faster
possibility, and i'd try to formulate every algorithm with inline
assembler first to avoid register problems, but intrinsics have the
advantage of being compiler/architecture independent ...
some of my assembler code doesn't work on the x86_64 architecture,
because of different implementation of pointer arithmetics ...

on the other hand, intrinsics do not produce the optimal code (at least
gcc and icc don't) ... still faster than plain c ...

tim

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

Just what the hell is the experimental tradition?
  Morton Feldman