[PD-dev] pd-core lib + SIMD

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Jan 19 17:14:03 CET 2006

On Jan 19, 2006, at 6:17 AM, Thomas Grill wrote:

> Am 18.01.2006 um 20:56 schrieb Hans-Christoph Steiner:
>

>> Thomas posted an idea a while back about making all of the core Pd
>> objects into a library and having Pd itself just be the very core.  I
>> am thinking of doing this for the next Pd-extended, and this got me
>> thinking.  It would be great to have a SIMD version of the Pd-core
>> lib as well.  This would be easier to deploy and maintain since it
>> could be in /externals/ rather than part of Pd.
>

> what i forgot to mention about the separation of core and internals is
> that it requires a bit more code restructuring than just linking the
> object files into two separate binaries. I remember some DSP functions
> to be associated with internals - this code must be moved over to the
> core part. But this should be done anyhow.

Since this will probably require a lot of reorganization to the Pd code
if its to be included in Miller's sources, I think we should probably
do it incrementally and leave the above parts to last, since they are
the trickiest.

Also, would it be possible and not too much work to make the pd-core
lib single-file objects?  It would be more flexible if we could have
the pd-core objects as part of the namespace, allowing basically any
object name to be overridden.  This would allow people to make their
own custom versions of specific pd-core objects more manageably.  Then
we could have people maybe writing pd-core objects which run on an
external DSP, for example, in addition to the SIMD objects.

____

                             http://at.or.at/hans/