[PD-dev] making a libusb object (expanding on [hid] toolkit)

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Fri Jan 20 01:21:46 CET 2006

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Then just like how [mouse], [joystick], [keyboard], etc. are Pd objects
> based on [hid], there will be [multio], [arduino], etc. which will be
> Pd objects based on [usb], [serial], etc.

Hey Hans,

I would really urge you to forget the IO specific objects, unless
unifing them is impossible. I think [hardware/analog] and
[hardware/digital] would make a lot more sense and possible allow
patches made for multiIO analog in to work on arduino as well...

If they *have* to be different then they should have the same interface
(accept the same messages).

I think the use of those objects will really take off, so its best to do
it right first. Also the names of the projects may change, they may die,
but to have a standard way to interface with (analog in/out and digital
in/out, maybe PWM as well) would be the best way, and new HW projects
could be added in the future...

.b.