[PD-dev] making a libusb object (expanding on [hid] toolkit)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jan 20 06:37:24 CET 2006

On Jan 19, 2006, at 7:21 PM, B. Bogart wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> Then just like how [mouse], [joystick], [keyboard], etc. are Pd
>> objects
>> based on [hid], there will be [multio], [arduino], etc. which will be
>> Pd objects based on [usb], [serial], etc.
>
> Hey Hans,
>
> I would really urge you to forget the IO specific objects, unless
> unifing them is impossible. I think [hardware/analog] and
> [hardware/digital] would make a lot more sense and possible allow
> patches made for multiIO analog in to work on arduino as well...
>
> If they *have* to be different then they should have the same interface
> (accept the same messages).
>
> I think the use of those objects will really take off, so its best to
> do
> it right first. Also the names of the projects may change, they may
> die,
> but to have a standard way to interface with (analog in/out and digital
> in/out, maybe PWM as well) would be the best way, and new HW projects
> could be added in the future...

I was thinking of trying to have an generic objects as possible.  For
example for [hid], I was thinking of maybe [axis] and [button].  My
original intention was to make general interface objects for things
like arduino and multio, but I think that they might be two different
to be able to do this well, especially if you throw in the MIDI-based
ones like the miditron.

I will experiment with the idea tho, we'll see where it goes...

.hc