[PD-dev] pd-core lib + SIMD

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Fri Jan 20 10:26:36 CET 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> However, I expect 80% or 90% of the internal classes to be externalizable.
> Let's do it for those classes first. Reuse the work of PDa if it makes
> sense.

There is probably not that much that you can actually reuse. For a start,
I think externalizing the ~ objects makes most sense. These are also the
objects that will benefit from SIMD, the message based objects won't run
any faster because their performance is bottlenecked by scheduling and
other factors that can't take advantage of SIMD.

Instead of  the typedef, what I did was to redefine t_sample.
Unfortunately the usage of t_sample as the base DSP type is not fully
consistent in Pd, which means you have to change several occurences of
t_float or float directly to t_sample in the dsp _perform routines.

It would be nice to have them consistent, because we could
redefine t_sample to "double" and compile a high-end version of
Pd. I admit that I doubt that it would really improve sound quality,
but its a good point for selling.

Like, you know, Pd sounds better because it runs with 64 bit numbers.

Guenter