[PD-dev] Re: [PD] Re: [PD-announce] sIgpAck-0.03b

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jan 20 20:23:08 CET 2006

On Jan 20, 2006, at 12:40 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> I'd prefer it if the file names stayed the same, otherwise that will
>> break the Pd-extended stuff.  The code in externals/sigpack is setup
>> in
>> the way sigpack was in its previous release, and in a way that's that
>> everything else in CVS is.  AFAIK, there are no libs in CVS that have
>> prefixes like "sp_" in the filename.
>
> If I understand this correctly, the sigpack externals in CVS now
> behave differently and have different names than the externals on
> Martin's page? I don't like this, it is something that should be
> avoided, IMO, unless there is a very good reason, so this should be
> sorted out somehow.

They should behave exactly the same, since the code is exactly same.
The prefix to the name is the only difference.

Since the sp_ prefix is a recent switch for Martin AFAIK, I hope I can
convince everyone that its a bad thing with the namespaces, or at best
unnecessary.  If people want the lib with prefixes, that's fine, and my
proposed changes will accommodate both ways of working quite cleanly.
I just hope that Martin will accept them.

____

"Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war on
terrorism."
                                     - retired U.S. Army general,
William Odom