[PD-dev] making a libusb object (expanding on [hid] toolkit)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Jan 21 06:28:56 CET 2006

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Christian Klippel wrote:

> yea, good idea, but impossible to do. you can be sure that whatever
> interface you take, it will send its data in a different way.

I'm sure that Ben is talking about having a common interface for things
that objects have in common, and not for the things that they don't have
in common. Just because the commonality can't be total doesn't mean it
can't exist at all.

> each unit has different resolutions, different amounts of i/o, and for
> that reason, a different protocol.

The commonality between objects may be increased by specifying that
classes in particular should have a query interface in order to
figure out how many sensors there are, how they are labeled if they
are labeled, and what is the type and possible values of each sensor.

> this is neccesarry because of the differencies in the devices. it is
> even possible that you take two different joysticks, and both pack their
> messages in completely different ways: one could put all info in just
> one report-descriptor, the other may use serveral of them, or even one
> for each axis/button.

Does this happen in practice? Do you have an actual situation where three
joystick models do exactly that?