[PD-dev] $0 in messages, was: multiple $arg-expansion

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Jan 21 23:29:09 CET 2006

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
> > What is a major hinderance is the list vs. undefined set quandary.
>
> One major hinderance is your insistence on calling them undefined sets.

I like to call lists with a list selector "list-lists".

> Suppose that the Pd of your dreams comes to existence, and that may mean
> without any so-called "undefined sets". Every message would be a "list".

Actually I believe, the only real practical problem that
lists/messages and list-lists had in the past was, that it was a bit
hard to make a list-list out of a general list/message.  (Stripping
the list-selector and converting back to a message-list is possible,
too, with [list trim], but was possible with [route list] as well.)
[list $1 $2...( could be ambigious and it didn't work with arbitrary
length message-lists.

But with pd-0.39 this issue is solved thanks to the [list] object,
that automatically converts everything to a full-blown list-list, if
one is needed. This is another reason to upgrade to 0.39 soon, if
someone hasn't done so yet.

Ciao