[PD-dev] Re: [PD] Re: [PD-announce] sIgpAck-0.03b

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Jan 22 04:13:58 CET 2006

On Jan 21, 2006, at 4:48 PM, Tim Blechmann wrote:

>> Using CVS helps to make developing easier.
>
> i do agree with that ...
>
>> As for Pd-extended/CVS repository guidelines developed over time on
>> this list, here are some (which should be properly documented):
>
> well, please differentiate between pd-extended and cvs repository
> guidelines. pd-extended is your (hans's) pd distribution, the cvs
> external repository is a repository of pd externals. some of the
> externals are included in pd-extended, some of them are not ...

>> - the objects need to compiled in the single-object/single-file format
>
> i think, this is a pd-extended guideline, not a cvs repository
> guideline ... as i stated several times, i prefer to use libraries if
> possible ...
>
>> - the geiger namespace makes object name prefixes like "sp_"
>> unnecessary, but if you really want them, that's ok.  But I consider
>> them deprecated and ugly.  A better solution would be a more
>> descriptive name if you want to differentiate from iemlib's and
>> cyclone's [round~], unless they all do similar things.  With the
>> geiger namespaces in Pd-extended, you can use all three at the same
>> time even if they have the same name.
>
> well, i don't think that having a sp_ prefix is that bad ...
>
> tim

Pd-extended is actually the work of many people, I am currently the
primary contributor and cheerleader.  Plus its the only current distro
that I know of (some others were based off of the same build system,
like pd++.  The pd++ changes were then incorporated into Pd-extended).

I still hope that one day all of the users and devs will use the same
distro.  It would make our work much more efficient and we could spent
our time on things that actually make Pd better.  Right now we reinvent
the build system wheel again and again; people have spent probably
man-years of work building custom Pd setups; people are afraid to use
externals because managing it is so painful; and we seem to argue
endlessly about the same issues.

Imagine if we spent all that time on writing SIMD code for all of Pd,
or making good documentation, or writing python and ruby APIs and
loaders, or porting PDP to Windows, etc. etc.

____

realize his wishes.
Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.
		                                                -William Carlos
Williams