[PD-dev] Re: [PD] Re: [PD-announce] sIgpAck-0.03b

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Jan 22 04:31:36 CET 2006

On Jan 21, 2006, at 5:42 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Tim Blechmann hat gesagt: // Tim Blechmann wrote:
>
>>> - the objects need to compiled in the single-object/single-file
>>> format
>>
>> i think, this is a pd-extended guideline, not a cvs repository
>> guideline ... as i stated several times, i prefer to use libraries if
>> possible ...
>
> I don't think, this applies to sigpack anyway, as it already can be
> compiled both ways, even with prefix "sp_", thanks to the recent
> changes I did and which Martin accepted, and it's not a very intrusive
> change, so every user can make his/her own choice if to compile as
> single or as library.
>
>>> - the geiger namespace makes object name prefixes like "sp_"
>>> unnecessary, but if you really want them, that's ok.  But I consider
>>> them deprecated and ugly.  A better solution would be a more
>>> descriptive name if you want to differentiate from iemlib's and
>>> cyclone's [round~], unless they all do similar things.  With the
>>> geiger namespaces in Pd-extended, you can use all three at the same
>>> time even if they have the same name.
>>
>> well, i don't think that having a sp_ prefix is that bad ...
>
> There are some "prior art" examples of prefixed externals, like "pdp_"
> or "k_", or "rrad." This really is a matter of taste and IMO the taste
> of the original author is, what should be respected as guideline in
> this regard. (I'll probably drop the "rrad." in the future and switch
> to directory/geiger namespaces, but Kjetil should keep his "k_" and
> martin his "sp_", if they want to.)
>
> Regarding the directory names being in miXed case: I think, we never
> talked about a guideline for this, but I would suggest we do?
>
> I would vote for using only lowercase names for (toplevel)
> directories, overriding author's tastes. ;) Lets vote!!

I think there are some assumed rules, like all lowercase, since
basically everyone has made their CVS directories all lowercase.  But
it would be good to get things documented.

Here are some fully fleshed out guidelines to look at for ideas:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/CvsUsage

http://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=185506

http://dotat.at/writing/cvs-guidelines.html

____

this we should do freely and generously.
                                                   - Benjamin Franklin