[PD-dev] Re: [PD-announce] Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC7

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 14:15:34 CET 2006

Hans,

Before I comment on the comment, I copied the
pdp.pd_darwin library from my /usr/local/lib/pd/extra
into the
Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC7.app/Contents/Resources/extra,
pdp and pidip loaded OK and I got a video up in X. I
am using the version from Yves, pdp_pidip_osx/ from
http://tdegoyon.free.fr/pdp_pidip_osx.tar.gz but you
have to get inside the archive to find the bits you
need. Since this is an extended release it may be
useful to include all the libs from this archive
(Imagemagick etc) although there may still be the fuss
about Pidip's license (it contains mp3lame amongst
other dylibs). It still needs X11 so maybe it would be
wise to put a link to
http://ydegoyon.free.fr/INSTALL_NOTES.txt , or just
add to the Readme.html file about getting X11. Apple's
XDarwin works as well as the X11 distribution.

--- Yves Degoyon <ydegoyon at free.fr> wrote:
> i will not comment further on your stupidity,
> with all your friends here, you're just killing
> any idea of pd's community
> ( if it ever existed )
>
> but, as people waste their time to look for defaults
> in other's work,
> i would rather tell them to get a life..

Really?

I work a lot with students who come to me looking for
an alternative to Max/MSP/Jitter, since they cannot
afford to buy such software. In Britain, every music
department uses Macintosh computers, almost without
exception, and I'd like to point them in a direction
that allows me to show them PD without necessarily
having to learn how to compile and troubleshoot
complex pieces of software (of which pidip is one,
since it depends on so many other pieces of software
to work). Hans' installer is the ideal candidate for
this, since it gives you many objects with the minimum
of installation of initialisation files. Your own
pdp_pidip_osx is good too in that respect. I apologise
to Hans for being presumptious with my bug reports, or
not having the time to research them thoroughly (I
have Mac's only at work, where I am supposed to be
working!). As far as I know, this is the only attempt
by anyone to make PD externals accessible, so let's
get behind it.

Pidip is hard to get to work. That's a fact we can
address if the motivation is there, but I have a life
thank you, and don't particularly want others to have
to waste theirs trying to find the right CVS snapshot
of ffmpeg amongst other things, as I did, or to
resolve the problems compiling mpeg4ip, of which the
version Yves says to get isn't even available anymore.
That's not finding fault with your software Yves - I
like it and use it. Just acknowledging some facts.
What kind of community do you want, Yves? A democracy
or an elite?

On Wednesday I will be giving a lecture and
demonstration where I work on PD, to encourage
students to consider it as an alternative to Max/MSP.
I'd like to promote the community, as I often have, as
an advantage rather than a hindrance. I know Yves,
that you may have absolutely no reason to care whether
anyone uses your software or not, and that's fine. But
let's not make this personal.

Best,
Ed

->