[PD-dev] making a libusb object (expanding on [hid] toolkit)

Christian Klippel ck at mamalala.de
Tue Jan 24 19:28:27 CET 2006

Am Dienstag 24 Januar 2006 19:05 schrieb Hans-Christoph Steiner:

[...snip...]

> I have 5 different mice from four different manufacturers and I can say
> that they all work fine with the [mouse] object.   I don't know what is
> going on at the USB level, but I know that the data is coming out of
> the [mouse] object where its supposed to.  The order in which the data
> gets outputted might be different tho.
>
> .hc

yes, because the hid defines these names/positions & ranges.

the raw data that gets sent usually contains all axes and buttons always. it
is the hid/event system that filters out unchanged stuff and forwards only
what has changed. but the datapacket (again, usually) is one single report
descriptor containing all fields. contrary to that, the multio uses seperate
report descriptors for each axis, preceeded by a report-id (first byte of the
packet).

and i was only refering to how the fields are layed out inside the descriptor.
for sure every mouse behaves the same when used the hid way, after all, thats
what the descriptors are for. its just then when accessing it directly,
bypassing hid/event at all, the incomming data may have different layouts for
different mice.

btw, the linux even system also uses hid, it just re-packs the incomming data
and filters out unchanged fields. but of course it refers to the hid names
and types for doing that....

greets,

chris